Heatrex manufactures accurate, sturdy immersion heaters that can be used in food industries.
How to Choose the Correct Heater for Food Processing
Immersion heaters can be immersed directly into the medium that needs to be heated. The types of immersion heaters will differ with their installation aspects. They may be installed in screw plug, flanged, or over-the-side position.
Screw Plug Heater
A screw plug heater is composed of tubular heating elements welded into a NPT fitting. This heater will directly screw or plug into the system through a threaded opening. What makes this heater suitable for varying range of industrial applications, is that it is easy to operate and it is energy efficient.
A flanged heater is constructed of tubular heating elements that are welded a flange. This heater is also suitable for a varying range of industrial applications, and is easy to operate.
This heater is designed to be used in systems that do not allow side heating due to their construction. These heaters are easily removed for cleaning and maintenance.
Application in Food Industry
Immersion heaters used in the food industry are mostly used in hot water storage tanks and preheating food processing equipment. Common application for these types of heaters in the food industry:
- Boiler equipment
- Freeze protection for liquid and gaseous mediums
- Heat flow systems
- Rising and cleaning systems
- Preheating to intense heating of varying grades of cooking oil
There are varying spectrum of immersions heaters, but there are some guidelines when choosing a the correct immersion heater based on the technical and engineering aspects. Keep in mind when selecting a heater for industrial use:
- Sheath or material of the heater
- External design; can the system be broken down or does it have fixed parts?
- Copper and steel immersion heaters work the best for food equipment
There are factors that will directly influence the immersion heaters ability to heat and performance:
- Viscosity, density, and reactive properties of the medium to be heated
- Types and amount of impurities of the medium
- Extremely contaminated medium will impact the performance
- Sheath corrosion, humidity and dust resistance properties
- Maximum heat resistance of sheath material
If you like to speak with a Heatrex representative about your need of an immersion heater for your food industry application please visit our website.